Kildwick (St. Andrew)
KILDWICK (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York; consisting of the chapelry of Silsden, and the townships of Both-Bradley, Cononley, Cowling, Farnhill, Glusburn, Kildwick, Steeton with Eastburn, Stirton with Thorlby, and Sutton; the whole containing 10,607 inhabitants, of whom 189 are in the township of Kildwick, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Skipton. This parish comprises by admeasurement 22,621 acres, of which 2500 are arable, 900 woodland, and the remainder pasture, common, and waste; the substratum abounds with freestone of good quality, which is extensively quarried. The worsted manufacture is carried on; and the spinning of yarn, for which there are several mills, affords employment to many of the population. There are also an iron-foundry and forges for the manufacture of machinery, and large quantities of nails are made. The village is pleasantly situated in the vale of the Aire. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 8. 1½.; income, £357; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land in 1773. The church is in the later English style, and contains an altar-tomb with the recumbent effigy of Sir Robert de Stiverton in chain armour. At Silsden and Cowling are separate incumbencies.