Kilby (St. Mary Magdalene)
KILBY (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Blaby, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6½ miles (S. S. E.) from the town of Leicester; containing 408 inhabitants, and comprising nearly 1000 acres. The Leicester canal passes within a quarter of a mile from the village, and at the distance of half a mile more is a commodious wharf. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £63; patron and impropriator, Sir H. Halford, Bart. The church is a neat edifice of ancient date, with a tower rebuilt in the year 1815. There is a place of worship for Independents.