Kilburn (St. Mary)
KILBURN (St. Mary), a parish, in the unions of Thirsk and Helmsley, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Thirsk; comprising the townships of Kilburn, Oldstead, Thorpele-Willows, and Wass; and containing 837 inhabitants, of whom 556 are in the township of Kilburn. This place was within the liberty of Ripon, from which jurisdiction it was separated by an act of the 1st of Victoria. It was anciently the retreat of Robert de Alneto, one of the monks of Whitby, who lived in solitary seclusion in a small hermitage at Hood Grange, within two miles of the present village: this hermitage, in 1138, was converted by Robert de Mowbray into a Cistercian abbey, but the monks subsequently removed to Old Byland, and afterwards to Byland, near Coxwold. The parish comprises by computation 5900 acres. At Hood Hill is a sandstone-quarry, now rarely wrought, the material being of a soft and perishable nature. The village consists of High and Low Kilburn, the former situated on the acclivity of a lofty eminence, commanding extensive and interesting views, and the latter on the banks of a small rivulet at its base. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £99; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York, whose tithes have been commuted for £405: the glebe comprises nearly 4 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.