Kiddington (St. Nicholas)
KIDDINGTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Woodstock; containing 274 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1875 acres; the soil is generally a stone brash, the surface is boldly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by a brook called the Glym. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4½.; net income, £375; patron, Viscount Dillon. The church is supposed to have been built about the year 1400; but its chancel is evidently of earlier date, and probably belonged to the original edifice. In 1446, the emoluments of the ancient rectory of Asterley, being considered inadequate for the support of an incumbent, were incorporated with those of this rectory. The parish is intersected by the Akeman-street; in Hill Wood are traces of a Roman encampment; and at other places in the neighbourhood are vestiges of earthworks. Warton, the poet-laureate, was rector of the parish, of which he published an excellent description.