Kibworth-Beauchamp (St. Wilfrid)
KIBWORTH-BEAUCHAMP (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5¼ miles (N. W.) from Harborough; containing, with the chapelry of Kibworth-Harcourt and the township of Smeeton-Westerby, 1740 inhabitants, of whom 748 are in the township of Kibworth-Beauchamp. The parish comprises by measurement 4004 acres. The soil of about one-fourth of the land is a strong loam, alternated with clay, and of the remainder partly a black mould and partly sand; the surface is gently undulated. The Union canal passes through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £39. 15., and in the gift of Merton College, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1779; the glebe altogether comprises 633 acres. The church is a spacious edifice, with a tower lately erected in lieu of the former tower and spire, which were nearly 160 feet high, and suddenly fell down on the 23rd of July, 1825. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. A school was founded in 1709, and endowed by Sir Nathaniel Edwards with property which, having been augmented on the passing of the inclosure act, now produces £250 per annum. 'At Smeeton-Westerby is a small chalybeate spring. Dr. John Aikin, a physician and ingenious author, was born here in 1747.