Keyworth (St. Mary Magdalene)
KEYWORTH (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Bingham, N. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 7 miles (S. S. E.) from Nottingham; containing 576 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated about one mile and a half from the London road through Loughborough, and the same distance from the direct road between Nottingham and Melton-Mowbray, comprises 1373a. 1r. 12p. of land, chiefly arable. A part is within the Wolds, and the soil of the remainder is a strong clay; the surface is generally undulated, and part of it hilly. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 5.; net income, £434; patron, the Rev. E. Thompson. The glebe comprises 240a. 3r. 22p., of which 26 acres were purchased with Queen Anne's Bounty, and the remainder were awarded in lieu of tithes in 1798. The church is a very ancient structure, with a tower surmounted by an octagonal spire, and has undergone considerable alterations. There are places of worship for Independents.