Keymer, North and South
KEYMER, NORTH and SOUTH, a parish, in the union of Cuckfield, hundred of Buttinghill, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 2¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Hurst-Pierrepoint; containing 1364 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Hurst-Pierrepoint, viâ Ditchelling, to Lewes, consists chiefly of down land in the southern portions of it, and in the northern of good arable, pasture, and wood. Clay for pottery is found in abundance; and at St. John's common is an extensive establishment for making bricks for building, a peculiar red brick for paving, also tiles, and brown pottery. The London and Brighton railway passes near the place: a branch line was completed from near Keymer to Lewes, in 1847. The living is a rectory, annexed to the living of Clayton. The church is in the early English style; the chancel, which is circular, is separated from the nave by a round arch; the interior was repaired and beautified in 1838.