Ketton (St. Mary)
KETTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of East, county of Rutland, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 951 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Stamford, through Uppingham, to Leicester, comprises 3122a. 19p.; the surface is undulated, the soil clay and loam, and the substratum limestone. There are extensive quarries of freestone of a very superior quality, much used for building in the vicinity, and of which considerable quantities are sent to distant counties. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Tixover annexed, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £107; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is principally in the early English style, but in the west end has an intermixture of Norman; the date of the south porch is 1232. It had formerly north and south transepts, which have been destroyed; the tower and spire are very handsome, and in good preservation. Here is a place of worship for Independents. In 1791, Sophia Elizabeth Edwards gave £1000 three per cents, for the support of a school.