Kerswell, King's (St. Mary)
KERSWELL, KING'S (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Haytor, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Newton-Abbott; containing 845 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road to Torquay, comprises 1643 acres, whereof 204 are waste or common: limestone of good quality is quarried for building and for burning into lime. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £105, arising partly from land given by Mrs. Creed in 1730, and by the vicar of St. Mary Church, who built the curate's residence in 1837; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The great tithes were commuted for £210, and the vicarial for £145. The church contains some remains of ancient oak screen-work, and a monument to Sir John Denham, who is interred here. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. Several thousands of Roman coins, of the baser metals, were found on a common near the church in 1840.