Kenwyn (St. Cuby)
KENWYN (St. Cuby), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall; containing 9555 inhabitants, of whom 4167 are within the parliamentary borough of Truro. The parish comprises 9023 acres, whereof 1945 are common or waste. It contains a considerable quantity of tin and copper ores, which were formerly procured to a great extent, though the mines are not now in operation; some silver was also extracted. The living is a vicarage, with that of Kea united, valued in the king's books at £16; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; impropriator, the Earl of Falmouth. The great tithes of Kenwyn have been commuted for £535, and the vicarial for £524. 11.; the glebe consists of 13½ acres. From the tower of the church is a fine view of the town and river of Truro, and of the surrounding country. There are churches also at Truro and Chacewater; and two new ecclesiastical districts have been constituted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, named respectively St. George's Kenwyn, and Baldhu: the incumbent of each district is appointed by the Crown and the Bishop, alternately.