Kenton, East, and West
KENTON, EAST, and WEST, a township, in the parish of Gosforth, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Newcastle; containing 819 inhabitants. This place gave name to a resident family, of whom Sir John de Kenton was high sheriff of the county in 1313: in 1582, John Fenwick wrought coal here; and in 1630 the whole estate belonged to Martin Fenwick. The township comprises 1341 acres, in equal portions of arable and grass land. There is a freestone-quarry, and many of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring collieries. The road from Newcastle to Ponteland passes by. The tithes have been commuted for £316. 17. 7., of which, two sums, each of £146. 14. 9½., are payable respectively to the Bishop and to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, and £23. 8. to the vicar of Newcastle.