Kenton (All Saints)
KENTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Exminster, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 8¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Exeter; containing, with the chapelry of Starcross, 2313 inhabitants. This place, which was anciently a borough, and had a weekly market and an annual fair, is situated about a mile and a half from the navigable river Exe, and on the road from Exeter to Dawlish, Teignmouth, and Torquay. The parish comprises 5446 acres, of which about 3000 are arable, 1500 pasture, and the remainder common or waste; the surface is hilly, the soil rather light, and the scenery beautiful. A curious custom prevails here regarding tenancy, by which the heirs of a tenant, retaining their occupancy for three descents in succession, establish their claim to the inheritance. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £34. 13. 4.; net income, £265; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is a handsome structure in the decorated style, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Edward III.; it has a rich wooden screen, on which is inscribed the Creed in Latin. There are chapels at Starcross and Cofton.