Kennington (St. Mary)
KENNINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of East Ashford, hundred of Chart and Longbridge, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Ashford; containing 585 inhabitants. It comprises 1380 acres, of which 24 are in wood. A fair for pedlery is held on the 5th of July. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The great tithes have been commuted for £205, and the vicarial for £197. 12.; there are 6½ acres of glebe appertaining to the vicarage, and 9 belonging to the archbishop: the glebe-house was built in 1837. The church is principally in the early English style.