Kencott (St. George)
KENCOTT (St. George), a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 5 miles (S.) from Burford; containing 196 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the road between the towns of Burford and Lechlade, and in the south-western part of the county. It comprises by admeasurement 1070 acres, of which 159 are pasture, 8 wood, and the remainder fertile arable land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 19. 4½.; net income, £246; patrons, the family of Hammersley: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1767. The church is an ancient structure, with a Norman doorway on the south side, above which is a sculptured figure of Sagittarius shooting an arrow into the jaws of a dragon.