Kemsing (St. Mary)
KEMSING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Seven-Oaks, hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Suttonat-Hone, W. division of Kent, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Seven-Oaks; containing 433 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Darent, and consists of 1867 acres, of which 120 are in wood; the soil is a strong loam, very productive, and hops are chiefly cultivated. To the north is a chain of chalk hills. In the village, at the junction of three roads, is St. Edith's Well, formerly esteemed for its miraculous efficacy. There was anciently a market, and a fair is still held in July. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, with the living of Seal annexed, and valued in the king's books at £19. 3. 4.; the net income is £396, and the patronage belongs to Earl Amherst. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £180, and the incumbent's for £140.