Kempston (All Saints)
KEMPSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Redbornkstoke, union and county of Bedford, 2¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Bedford; containing 1699 inhabitants. This parish, in the Domesday survey Camestone, comprises about 5000 acres; the soil in the valley of the Ouse is gravelly, and in other parts clay. Some good limestone is found, suitable for building, as well as farming purposes. Pillow-lace making is extensively carried on, affording employment to most of the women and girls. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12; patron, the Rev. Henry Clutterbuck; impropriators, Sir W. Long and others. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1802; the glebe consists of about 200 acres, valued at £300 per annum, and there is a glebe-house in good repair. The church is an ancient structure, in the early Norman and later English styles; a gallery has been built. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Some moated houses exist in the parish, and coins of an early date have been frequently found.