KEMPLEY, a parish, in the union of Newent, hundred of Botloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Newent; containing 324 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1423 acres: the soil is rich and deep; the surface is generally level, but the scenery is pleasing, and enriched with wood. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 5½.; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, as masters of Ledbury Hospital. The tithes have been commuted for £240. The church is in the Norman style.