Kellington (St. Edmund)
KELLINGTON (St. Edmund), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York; comprising the townships of Beaghall, Egbrough, Kellington, and Whitley; and containing 1493 inhabitants, of whom 324 are in the township of Kellington, 4½ miles (E.) from Ferry-Bridge. This place appears to have had a church at a very early period, which, in the reign of John, was granted by the De Lacys to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. The parish comprises about 7000 acres; the lands are well cultivated, and the district is noted for its superior breed of sheep, and of short-horned cattle. The village is pleasantly situated on rising ground, and facility of conveyance is afforded by a canal, which passes through the parish to Goole; there are also turnpike-roads to Pontefract, Selby, Snaith, and Doncaster. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 11½.; net income, £370 per annum; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The great tithes of Kellington township have been commuted for £390, and the small for £122; the impropriate glebe consists of 111 acres, and the vicarial of 12 acres. The church is in the Norman and early English styles, with some portions in the decorated style, and a low square tower. The nave is longitudinally divided into two aisles of unequal breadth, by a range of columns and pointed arches that support a timber-framed roof finely arched, and enriched in the intersections with grotesque ornaments; a similar arrangement prevails in the chancel, which is separated from the nave by a large circular arch. Above the gable at the end of the chancel, is a small turret for one bell. In the churchyard is an ancient stone with a cross rudely sculptured, probably the lid of a coffin. There are three places of worship for Wesleyans.