Kellaways, or Calloes (St. Giles)
KELLAWAYS, or Calloes (St. Giles), a parish, in the hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (N. E.) from Chippenham; containing 35 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Avon, comprises 130 acres; the soil is a light mould, with a substratum of gravel. The surface is flat, and subject to frequent inundations, which have rendered it necessary to construct a causeway more than 100 yards in length, supported on arches of brick, and extending from one side of the river nearly to the church. A causeway from Chippenham to Wickhill, on the other side of this parish, a distance of nearly 3 miles, was formed from the proceeds of a bequest in the 15th century, by Maud Heath, then producing £8 per annum, but subsequently much increased in value. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Joseph Neeld, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £46, and the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church, a very neat edifice, was built about the year 1820, chiefly at the expense of the Rev. Henry Brindly, then rector.