Kegworth (St. Andrew)
KEGWORTH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 11 miles (S. E. by E.) from Derby; containing, with the chapelry of Isley-Walton, 1945 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the east by the river Soar, comprises by measurement 2160 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. Many of the females are engaged in framework knitting, and the figuring of lace, at their own dwellings. There are two ale breweries. Fairs are held on Feb. 18th, Easter-Monday, April 30th, and October 10th; but they have dwindled into mere holiday fairs. The village is on the road from London to Manchester; and a station of the Midland railway is situated about a mile from it. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 15. 7½.; net income, £860; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1778; the glebe comprises 60 acres of grassland. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a spire. At Isley-Walton is a chapel of ease. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans. A free school was founded in 1575, by Queen Elizabeth; and a national school for girls and an infants' school are supported by the rector. The sum of £27. 10., the amount of various benefactions, is yearly distributed among the poor.