Keelby (St. Bartholomew)
KEELBY (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Caistor, E. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from Caistor; containing 719 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the Roman Bartonstreet, comprises by computation 1700 acres. A pleasure-fair is held on the 10th of July. The living is a discharged vicarage; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Yarborough: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £18, and the glebe consists of 62 acres. The church, an ancient structure, of which the south aisle has been taken down, was substantially repaired a few years since. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The rent of 10 acres of land was given by Alice Louth, to the poor, and for the repair of the church. At the hamlet of Cotham was a Cistercian nunnery, founded in the reign of Stephen by Alan Muncels or Munceaux, and containing at the Dissolution a prioress and twelve nuns, whose revenue was £46.