Kea (St. Kea)
KEA (St. Kea), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from the town of Truro; containing 4261 inhabitants. The parish is situated to the west of the Mopas roadstead of Falmouth harbour, and is intersected on the south-west by the Redruth railway. Copper and tin mines are worked within its limits, and there is a smelting-house for silver. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Kenwyn: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £495, and the vicarial for £265. 9.; there are 22¾ acres of glebe. The present church, built about the year 1803, stands at a short distance from the road between Truro and Falmouth; the tower of the former edifice is still remaining. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Wesleyans. Mr. John Lanyon in 1724 gave to certain trustees, to found an almshouse, the sum of £1000, with which they purchased an estate now producing about £50 per annum; the number of inmates is nine.