Just, St., in Roseland
JUST, ST., in Roseland, a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall; comprising the town of St. Mawes, and containing 1488 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by Falmouth harbour, and on the south-east by an estuary called St. Mawes creek, comprises by measurement 2340 acres, of which 400 are common or waste. It has constant communication with Falmouth across the harbour. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £37, and in the gift of John Hawkins, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £520, and the glebe comprises about 8 acres. The church occupies a romantic situation on a shelf of ground rising above the water, and backed by a mass of dark rock, mantled with ivy and shaded with foliage. Divine service is performed every Sunday afternoon by the rector, in the chapel of St. Mawes. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, and for Bryanites. A school is partly supported by endowment. Here are the remains of an amphitheatre for the ancient Cornish interludes, 126 feet in diameter, with stone benches; and on the summit of Bartini Hill are the remains of a circular fortification. Some vestiges of a chapel exist at Rosecassa; in the gardens there, was an old font, which has been removed.