JOHN, ST., a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from St. Germans; containing 149 inhabitants. The parish extends southward to the English Channel, and comprises 700 acres, of which 140 are common or waste. The village is at the head of the estuary called St. John's lake, opposite to Devonport. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 12. 6., and in the gift of the family of Carew: the tithes have been commuted for £116. Almshouses for six persons were founded in 1680, by Alice Brooking.