Jevington (St. Andrew)
JEVINGTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Eastbourne, hundred of Willingdon, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 3 miles (N. W.) from Eastbourne; containing 329 inhabitants. This parish is situated on and near the Downs, and comprises 1958 acres, of which 962 are common or waste: the surface is gently undulated, and the lower lands are watered by a copious stream; the scenery is enriched with more wood than is usually found in these districts. At the northern extremity of the parish is a chalk-pit, near which is a kiln for making lime. The village is pleasingly seated in a small valley. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20, and in the gift of the Earl of Burlington: the tithes have been commuted for £460, and the glebe comprises 17 acres, with a house. The church is a very ancient structure in the Norman style, with later insertions, and a square massive tower.