JARROW, EAST, in the parish of Jarrow, union of South Shields, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (W.) from South Shields. This place is situated on the south-east side of the river Don, and forms the western boundary of the township of Westoe: the land, which is leasehold under the Dean and Chapter of Durham, is the property of John Straker, Esq., of Jarrow Lodge, with whom originated the project of converting the locality into a manufacturing district, and by whose exertions, surmounting all opposition, this object has been eminently accomplished. Operations were commenced in 1836, when there were but 16 inhabitants, and the first improvement was the formation of a better road further inland; the then road, round the verge of Jarrow Slake, being frequently impassable for hours, and sometimes dangerous from the overflowing of the tides of the Tyne. The new road terminates at the west end by a neat stone bridge of one arch over the Lesser Don; and a considerable quantity of land has been reclaimed from Jarrow Slake, at a great outlay. Among the works already established are some chemical-works, timber, and shipbuilding yards, iron-works, nail-works, a lamp-black manufactory, and a brick-yard; affording employment to between 400 and 500 families, and consuming upwards of 40,000 tons of coal annually. Small vessels and keels come up to the quays.