Jacobstow (St. James)
JACOBSTOW (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Stratton, E. division of Cornwall, 8½ miles (S. S. W.) from Stratton; containing 585 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Barnstaple to Falmouth, and bounded on the south by the river Derrington, comprises by measurement 4200 acres; the soil is a strong clay, with a considerable portion of marsh and bog. Fairs are held in May, September, and November. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19, and in the gift of the Earl of St. Germans: the tithes have been commuted for £310; the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church is a neat ancient structure, with a tower of granite, and was thoroughly repaired and repewed in 1831. There are places of worship for Bryanites, Primitive Methodists, and Thornites. Near Headon are two small barrows. Degory Wheare, the first Camden professor of history at Oxford, and author of a Treatise on the Method of Studying History, was born here in 1723.