Iwerne-Courtney, or Shroton (St. Mary)
IWERNE-COURTNEY, or Shroton (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Redlane, Sturminster division of Dorset, 7 miles (S.) from the town of Shaftesbury; containing, with the chapelry of Farringdon and the tything of Ranston, 605 inhabitants. This place derives its name from the river Ewern, or Iwern, and its adjunct from the family of Courtney, who were its ancient proprietors. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 8. 1½. and in the gift of Lord Rivers: the tithes have been commuted for £260, and the glebe comprises 71 acres. The church has a tower with battlements and pinnacles. There is a chapel of ease at Farringdon. Lady Elizabeth Freke, in 1640, endowed a school with a rent-charge of £20.