Itchington, Long (Holy Trinity)
ITCHINGTON, LONG (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Southam, Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Southam; containing 1272 inhabitants. The Warwick and Napton canal and the river Watergall run through the parish, which consists of 4776 acres of a productive soil. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 8.; net income, £161; patrons, alternately, Lord Leigh, and C. N. Newdegate, Esq.; impropriator, Sir G. Sitwell, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1775. There is a bequest of £10 per annum, by John Bosworth, in 1674; which, with another endowment, is applied to the support of a school. This is the birthplace of Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester in 1062; and here, in 1575, Queen Elizabeth was entertained by Dudley, Earl of Leicester, when on her progress to Kenilworth.