Itchington, Bishop's (All Saints)
ITCHINGTON, BISHOP'S (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Southam, partly in the Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, and partly in the Kington division of that of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (S. W.) from Southam; containing 463 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the cross road between Southam and Kington, and comprises about 5800 acres, of which 1350 are in the chapelry of Chadshunt, and 1488 in that of Gaydon. Its soil is generally a strong clay, under which lie strata of blue limestone, and in the higher grounds chiefly sand; the surface is boldly undulated, and the lower lands are watered by a brook called the Itchen. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Chadshunt annexed, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £416; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £450, and the vicarial for £192. 15. 6.; the impropriate glebe comprises 26 acres, and the vicarial 2. The original church stood in Lower or Bishop's Itchington, but no traces of it now exist, and a chapel in Upper Itchington, dedicated to St. Michael, is used as the parochial church; it has lately undergone thorough repair, and a new tower has been erected. There is a chapel of ease at Gaydon. The parish abounds in springs of very pure water.