Islip (St. Nicholas)
ISLIP (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Thrapston, hundred of Huxloe, N. division of the county of Northampton, ½ a mile (W. N. W.) from Thrapston; containing 547 inhabitants. The parish consists of 1321a. 1r. 13p., and is pleasantly situated on the navigable river Nene, and intersected by the road from Thrapston to Northampton and Kettering. A fine white stone is quarried for building, and a good stone for the repair of the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 6. 8.; net income, £377; patrons, the Sackville family. Land has been allotted in lieu of tithes. The church, which stands on an eminence, is a small but beautiful specimen of the later English style; the arches and pillars are remarkably light and elegant. There is a place of worship for Baptists. In 1705, the Rev. Henry Medbury devised land for the erection and endowment of two almshouses for widows, and the relief of widows of poor clergymen within twenty miles' distance of Islip; the estate has been improved by some late inclosures, and now yields £111 per annum.