Isham (St. Peter)
ISHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Kettering, on the road to Wellingborough; containing 397 inhabitants. The parish consists of 1351a. 3r. 8p., of which three-fourths are arable and the remainder pasture. Limestone and building-stone are obtained, and on the river Ise is a small carpet-factory. The living was a rectory in two portions, Inferior and Superior, each valued in the king's books at £7. 10., but which were consolidated into one benefice by an order in council, Aug. 21st, 1841; net income, £371; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The tithes were commuted on the inclosure, in 1778. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower, and contains four Norman arches, and a curious monument. There is a place of worship for Methodists; a national school is supported by subscription, and the children have a right to instruction also in Pitchley school. On the inclosure, 36 acres were assigned in lieu of other land held for parochial purposes and for apprenticing children; the rent amounts to £34. Roman coins have been found in great quantities.