Isfield (St. Margaret)
ISFIELD (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Uckfield, hundred of Loxfield-Dorset, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 3¼ miles (S. W.) from Uckfield; containing 477 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Ouse, and comprises by admeasurement 1822 acres, of which 771 are arable, 508 permanent pasture, 503 woodland, and 40 in hop plantations; the surface is rather flat. There is a considerable traffic on the river, in coal, marl, chalk, and other commodities, which are sent for several miles up the country; a paper manufactory has been for some time established, and here is an extensive flour-mill. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 12. 8½., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £405, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The church is principally in the decorated style, and contains numerous ancient monuments: in the Shirley chapel, on the south side of the chancel, is a splendid altar-tomb to Sir John Shirley, with recumbent figures of himself in armour, and two females; near the base are the effigies of nine of his children.