Irton (St. Paul)
IRTON (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Ravenglass; containing, with the townships of Melthwaite and Santon, 509 inhabitants. The parish takes its name from the river Irt, on which it is situated; and comprises by computation 5950 acres, whereof 2700 are arable, 800 meadow and pasture, and 1000 woodland. The surface is boldly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Mite. Granite is found in great variety near Irton Hall, and is extensively quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £96; patron, S. Irton, Esq.; impropriator, Lord Muncaster. The church is an ancient structure, and in the churchyard are some sculptured stones, the remnants of an old cross. Henry Caddy, in 1716, gave £150 towards the foundation of a free school; this sum, and an allotment of land, produce about £12 per annum, which are duly applied.