Ireton, Kirk (Holy Trinity)
IRETON, KIRK (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 2¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Wirksworth; containing 865 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 2253 acres. On the 12th of May, 1811, the village and neighbourhood were visited by an awful tornado, accompanied by lightning and loud claps of thunder; large trees were twisted from their roots, most of the houses were unroofed, and the church was stripped of its lead, which was blown into the adjoining fields. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 10.; net income, £355; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield: the glebe consists of about 68 acres, with a house. The church, supposed to have been built about the 13th century, has several handsome arches in the Norman style. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. A school was erected and endowed by the Rev. John Slater, in 1686; and an annuity of £5, arising from a bequest by John Bower in 1744, is paid for the instruction of girls. The Rev. Mr. Slater also bequeathed lands for the poor of the parish.