Irby-Upon-Humber (St. Andrew)
IRBY-UPON-HUMBER (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Grimsby; containing 215 inhabitants, and comprising about 1600 acres. This parish is situated on the road from Grimsby to Caistor, at the edge of the Wolds, commanding an extensive view of the river Humber and the coast of Yorkshire; and near the village is a romantic spot called the Dales, in which are several chalk-quarries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18; patrons, alternately, the Earl of Yarborough, and William Haigh, Esq., the estate being an undivided property: the tithes have been commuted for £240, and the glebe comprises 48 acres. The church is a small edifice, in the early English style, with modern alterations; the nave is divided from the aisles by arches of ancient character, supported by ponderous pillars.