Ippolitts (St. Hippolytus)
IPPOLITTS (St. Hippolytus), a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Hitchin and Pirton, county of Hertford, l½ mile (S. E. by S.) from Hitchin; containing 919 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Great Wymondley in 1685, and valued in the king's books at £11: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1811. The church has a square embattled tower, surmounted by a short spire. Adjoining the churchyard are two endowed almshouses.