Ipplepen (St. John the Baptist)
IPPLEPEN (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Haytor, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 3¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Newton-Abbott; containing, with the chapelry of Woodland, 1172 inhabitants. It comprises 2726 acres, of which 180 are common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £26. 2. 3½.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The great tithes have been commuted for £480; the vicar's glebe comprises 80 acres. The church has a handsome screen, and enriched pulpit; it belonged, with some adjoining lands, to the priory of St. Peter de Fulgeriis in Brittany, and attached to it was a cell to that establishment. After the suppression of alien priories, the church was in the crown, till 1438, when it was appropriated to the college of St. Mary Ottery, on the dissolution of which it was given to the dean and canons of Windsor. At Woodland is a separate incumbency. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.