Inworth (All Saints)
INWORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Witham, Witham division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Kelvedon; containing 591 inhabitants. This place, which is variously written in records Ineworth, Innesworth, and Inford, has two manors, or reputed manors, Inworth and Chedingswell. Inworth, which has a mansion-house about a quarter of a mile from the church, formed part of the endowment of the nunnery of Helenstow, in Bedfordshire, founded by Judith, niece of William the Conqueror; and that establishment retained the property till the Dissolution. The manor of Chedingswell, the house of which is about a mile from the church, was formerly styled Cuddingswell, and Chiswell, and belonged to Coggeshall Abbey; different families have since owned it. The parish is pleasantly situated near the London road, and comprises by measurement 1554 acres, of which 1322 are arable, 83 pasture, about 60 wood, and 89 common or waste; the lands are elevated, and the soil generally a strong rich loam, producing abundant crops. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of T. Poynder, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £361, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The church is remarkable for a small porch on the south side, of Roman bricks and flints mixed; near the altar is a piscina, and there are some remains of a tessellated pavement.