Ingleby-Greenhow (St. Andrew)

INGLEBY-GREENHOW (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Stokesley, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Stokesley; containing 355 inhabitants, of whom 161 are in the township. This place, at the time of the Conqueror's survey, was within the soke or liberty of Stokesley. The Balliols were anciently proprietors here: from them the estate descended to the Eures, in whom the lands continued vested till 1609, when they were sold to the family of Foulis, of whom Henry Foulis, the historian and divine, was born at Ingleby manor-house in the middle of the 17th century. The parish is now almost exclusively the property of Sir William Foulis, Bart., who is lord of the manor. It is bounded on the south by a range of naked mountains, and comprises, with the townships of Greenhow and Battersby, about 8400 acres, of which nearly 2000 are arable, 2400 meadow and pasture, 500 wood and plantations, and the remainder moorland and waste. The surface is diversified with hill and dale, is level at the base of the Cleveland hills, and interspersed with abrupt acclivities and with wildly romantic features; the soil is a strong clay. Ingleby manor-house, the seat of Sir William Foulis, is a stately mansion of stone, finely situated on an eminence; it contains some oak carvings, and an ancient portrait of Queen Elizabeth. The village is pleasantly seated on the acclivity of a narrow moorland valley, and has a strikingly picturesque appearance; it is well built, and partly inhabited by persons employed in the manufacture of bricks and tiles. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir William Foulis, the impropriator; net income, £67: the tithes have been commuted for £565. The church was rebuilt in 1741, and is a plain structure, containing 80 sittings.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z