Ilsington (St. Michael)
ILSINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Teignbridge, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 4¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Ashburton; containing 1093 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected on the north-east by the Stover railway, includes the Haytor granite-works, and abounds with pipe and potters' clay of good quality. It comprises 5956 acres, of which 1662 are common or waste; the surface is varied, and the scenery diversified with the grounds of Ingsdon House. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 9. 7.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The great tithes have been commuted for £340, and the vicarial for £300; the appropriate glebe comprises 12 acres, and the vicarial 80 acres. The church contains some screen-work of oak. Jane Ford, in 1663, bequeathed a rent-charge of £26, for instruction.