Ilford, Little (St. Mary)
ILFORD, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of West Ham, hundred of Becontree, S. division of Essex, 7 miles (E. N. E.) from London; containing 189 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 763 acres, of which 428a. 3r. 16p. are arable, 276a. 19p. pasture, and the remainder roads and waste. The village, which is small, is situated a little to the west of Great Ilford; and a large mart for cattle from the north of England, and from Wales and Scotland, is held here, in conjunction with several of the neighbouring parishes, from February till May. A house of correction for the county was erected in 1831. The Eastern Counties railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 13. 9., and in the gift of W. Hibbitts, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £310, and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The church is a plain edifice containing several interesting monuments.