Ilderton (St. Michael)
ILDERTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland; consisting of the townships of Ilderton, Middleton-Hall, North and South Middleton, Roddam, and Roseden; and containing 585 inhabitants, of whom 121 are in the township of Ilderton, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Wooler. The parish is intersected by the Coldgate, Lilburn, Roddam, and several minor streams, and comprises by computation 13,000 acres, of which about 5000 are in Ilderton township; of the latter, 1000 acres are arable, 60 wood, and 3940 moorland. The eastern portion has a light, gravelly, sharp soil, and the western portion is chiefly moss, heather, and bent; the surface is hilly, and in some parts mountainous. The road from Edinburgh to Newcastle passes through, and the river Breamish on the south side. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £96; patron, the Duke of Northumberland: the glebe contains about 50 acres. The church is a modern edifice, situated on an eminence, and consisting of a nave, chancel, and square tower. A parsonage-house was built in 1843. On Roseden-Edge are the remains of a square encampment; and between the village of Ilderton and Hedgehope is a temple of the Druids, consisting of ten large unequal stones, placed in the form of an oval, 38 yards in diameter from east to west, and 33 from north to south.