Ightham (St. Peter)
IGHTHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of West Malling, hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 1¾ mile (S. W.) from Wrotham; containing 1039 inhabitants. The ancient name of this parish was Eightham, expressive of its having eight hams, or villages: it comprises 2400 acres, of which 350 are common or waste, and 760 woodland. A fair is held in Whitsun-week. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 16. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. S. W. Cobb: the tithes have been commuted for £650, and the glebe comprises 6 acres. The church is ancient. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a national school is partly supported by an endowment left by the family of James. On Old Berry Hill are the remains of a Roman castra æstiva, which occupied a space of 137 acres; in the centre of the inclosure are two fine springs.