Ifley (St. Mary)
IFLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Headington, hundred of Bullingdon, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (S. E. by S.) from Oxford; containing, with part of the liberty of Littlemoor, 958 inhabitants. This parish, anciently Yeoffley, is situated on the left bank of the Thames, and adjoins the road from London to Oxford; it comprises 1092 acres, of which 104 are common or waste. A remarkably hard kind of limestone is quarried, suitable for coarse buildings and the repair of roads. An inconsiderable fair is held in the week after Michaelmas-day. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £61; patron, the Archdeacon of Oxford. The church is principally of Norman architecture, and has a low square tower between the nave and chancel, with a handsome south porch, and a western doorway embellished with chevron mouldings and other decorations. The chancel is partly in the early English style, and has a stone roof boldly groined, the ribs springing from clustered columns and others of dissimilar character; the great west window is in the decorated style. Alice Smith, in 1678, gave lands yielding a rent of about £100, for apprenticing boys, and other purposes. In 1805, a school for girls was founded in pursuance of the will of the Rev. Thomas Nowell, D.D., who left property producing £39 per annum.