Ifield (St. Margaret)
IFIELD (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Gravesend; containing 172 inhabitants. It comprises 312 acres. The village, which is comprehended in the hamlet of Shinglewell, is usually called Shinglefield-street, and is situated on the line of a Roman road, traces of which are yet visible. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 7., and in the gift of William Edmeads, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £149. 1. 6., and the glebe comprises 8½ acres. The church, which is the smallest in the diocese, was built in 1596, and the rector added a vestry to it in 1838.