Idbury (St. Nicholas)
IDBURY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 5½ miles (N. by W.) from Burford; containing, with the hamlets of Bowld and Foscott, 207 inhabitants. It comprises 1498 acres, of which 1438 are arable and pasture, and 60 woodland; the soil is partly fertile, producing good crops of barley, turnips, and seed, and partly a cold clay. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £60; patron, the Chancellor of Sarum. The church is an ancient structure, with a Norman entrance on the north side of the nave; in the north aisle are several monuments of the Loggan family. There are vestiges of a large military camp near the turnpikeroad from Stow to Burford.