Ickham (St. John the Evangelist)
ICKHAM (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Bridge, hundred of Downhamford, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Wingham; containing 577 inhabitants. It comprises 2438a. 3r. 28p., of which about 1434 acres are arable, 632 meadow, 167 wood, and 89 in hop-grounds. The living is a rectory, with the chapel of Weald (now a ruin) annexed, valued in the king's books at £29. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £1000, and the glebe contains 21 acres, with a house. The church is in the form of a cross, and in the early English style, with some decorated windows, and a Norman door; it was restored in 1846. The Roman road from Canterbury to Richborough passes through the parish.