Ibstock (St. Denis)
IBSTOCK (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Ashby-de-la-Zouch; containing, with the chapelry of Donnington with Hugglescote, 2002 inhabitants. The parish comprises upwards of 4600 acres; the surface is gently undulated, and the soil in general fertile. The south side is intersected by three small rivulets, two of which have their source in that part of the parish, and, flowing in streams nearly parallel, form a junction just before entering the next parish; they are both easily available for the purpose of irrigation. Coal is obtained, a considerable quantity of which is sent to Leicester by the Leicester and Swannington railway, which passes through the extremity of the parish. Clay, marl, gravel, sand, and freestone abound; and there is an extensive yard in which every variety of bricks is made. In the village, which is large, are many stocking-frames. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 8. 11., and in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester: the tithes have been commuted for £522, and the glebe comprises about 550 acres, with a good glebe-house. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower surmounted by a spire, and is situated at the extremity of the village. There is a chapel of ease at Hugglescote; and at Coalville is a district church, a neat stone edifice containing 450 sittings, consecrated August 4th, 1840, and endowed by the Rev. Thomas Webb Minton, in whom the patronage is vested. There are places of worship for General Baptists and Wesleyans. A national school, to which the rector contributes liberally, was established in 1818; and there is another for Hugglescote and Donnington. Archbishop Laud was for nine years, from 1617 to 1626, incumbent of the parish.