Hythe, West (St. Mary)
HYTHE, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, and partly within the liberties, of Romney-Marsh, but chiefly within the liberties of the town and port of Hythe (of which it is a member), partly in the hundred of Hythe, and partly in that of Worth, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Hythe; containing 237 inhabitants. The haven of West Hythe was a place of great resort for shipping so early as the first settlement of the Saxons; and in the reign of Edward the Confessor, the town, from its maritime importance, had the privileges of a cinque-port; but on the subsequent retirement of the sea, it yielded to the growing importance of the new town of Hythe. The parish comprises 1253 acres. The Military canal passes through. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 14. 4½.; net income, £34; patron, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church has been demolished.